The American Dollar
OUR FAMILY. OUR MONEY. ONE PERSONAL FINANCE BLOG.
One industrious American family's focus on a financial goal of freedom. Through worldly personal finance education, here is our story.
Goals | Portfolio | Subscribe | About Us | Contact Us    
   Home

  Financial Links on the Web
  Bloomberg.com
  CNN Money
  ING Direct
  BankRate
  Morningstar.com
  Craigslist.org
  Mortgage Calculator
  PF Podcasts
  Smart Money

Our Story: Both my wife and I are 27 years old and have gone through financial hell and back. Now we are on track to financial freedom, however we are not financial advisors or professionals, just everyday people. Share our journey from a negative networth and email us if you have questions or comments! :)



RECENT POSTS

Friday, January 27, 2006

Too Much Stuff!

Today I started my morning routine: woke up, took a shower, kissed the wife goodbye, ran out the door with a prepared bag lunch. As I shut the door I realized that wow we have a lot of stuff. I mean not as much crap like my next door neighbor who saves everything, but a good amount of stuff. I'm contemplating going through and doing an ebay/goodwill house sweep. There is also a local online community that I use frequently called Freecycle. Basically instead of sending good items to the landfill, you can post the item/s and meet in a public location to swap. There is no money exchange (they are really strict about this).

I wonder sometimes if all these purchases were necessary because all they do is collect dust. I mean its ok to have a sensible collection. My wife collects figurines of angels or anything angel related but we do have a limit and again its sensible. We are definately not packrats, I know the feeling because I was one. However I seiously need to curb my spending. If you ask my wife, I don't spend enough UNLESS I goto Home Depot or Costco. I am seriously considering purchasing a power washer, but that's another.story. So I'm wondering does everyone have a soft spot for where they spend their money? And how does one conquer that urge to spend at that place?

Ultimately we need to sell or give away all these items with no need. This weekend I have 2 chores, finish painting/remodeling the master bathroom and doing a clean sweep.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

The only place anymore that can be dangerous to our bottom line these days is the random stroll through a big bookstore ala Borders/B&N. I can drop a couple hundred without really even paying attention.

How do I conquer it? Well, we moved to fairly rural area, and the nearest is an hour+ away. So not going generally takes care of that... ;)

12:09 PM  

Post a Comment

Home

www.AMDOLLAR.com is here!

Emergency Fund
40%
$25,000
2007 Roth Contributions
$8,000 Total



special thanks to ajaden webmasters