The American Dollar
OUR FAMILY. OUR MONEY. ONE PERSONAL FINANCE BLOG.
One industrious American family's focus on a financial goal of freedom. Through worldly personal finance education, here is our story.
Goals | Portfolio | Subscribe | About Us | Contact Us    
   Home

  Financial Links on the Web
  Bloomberg.com
  CNN Money
  ING Direct
  BankRate
  Morningstar.com
  Craigslist.org
  Mortgage Calculator
  PF Podcasts
  Smart Money

Our Story: Both my wife and I are 27 years old and have gone through financial hell and back. Now we are on track to financial freedom, however we are not financial advisors or professionals, just everyday people. Share our journey from a negative networth and email us if you have questions or comments! :)



RECENT POSTS

Thursday, January 12, 2006

The Water Cooler #1

Why is money so powerful? Are there places that money doesnt matter and no one cares about the dollar value of anything? I know that we can all block this money-thing out and be in a dreamy state where love and peace over run our hearts and minds. However, after that sinks in, there is a deafening sound and that is reality. I believe money controls all because if not there would be chaos all around us. We literally do things for money. We are slaves to money and its in that idea that we have to break away and begin the journey; yours and mine. Its exciting to see so many bloggers on a PF train that it saddens me to see that there aren't millions of people riding the same wave to a brighter future.

Today, one of my coworkers said this afternoon that his landlord (property owners) are raising the rent again to keep up with inflation, the cost of living in the area, whatever. The girl next to him said, 'I hear you and I think you need to go out and get a second job to pay for that.' We all laughed of course because they ONLY raised it $100. I thought in my mind the second job was a great idea, but I didn't want to be rude. So I asked him if he was happy living there in his 2 bedroom apartment with his wife and 2 children. He told me that both him and his wife have credit problems and can barely make ends meet now that he couldnt fathom even buying a house or even move out. I believe my coworker will be stuck there in his apartment; stuck in the same position at work and the same routine... for the rest of his life. My heart goes out for him and his family, however its not my duty to take care of him. I basically let him believe what he wants to. I feel that if I interject with a comment like, 'well you can change all that. here are the steps you need to take', that would be like a punch in the gut. He is already set in his ways and doesnt need help from a 25 year old "kid".

I have read several books on personal finance, investing, retirement planning, etc. but I have found that without applying that knowledge and sharing what works best for me, that Im really just stuck with a bunch of words on a page; like this blog. Whomever steps across this blog has the idea to leave the words on the page or take whatever they want, strip it to its bare and utilize it. I give you permission. I know it sounds remedial but truthfully I have grown everyday learning new things about my personal finances and simply... life. I enjoy sharing my coworkers stories because its interesting to see how other people deal with their finances. More water cooler stories to come...

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

good information

8:28 PM  

Post a Comment

Home

www.AMDOLLAR.com is here!

Emergency Fund
40%
$25,000
2007 Roth Contributions
$8,000 Total



special thanks to ajaden webmasters