The American Dollar
OUR FAMILY. OUR MONEY. ONE PERSONAL FINANCE BLOG.
One industrious American family's focus on a financial goal of freedom. Through worldly personal finance education, here is our story.
Goals | Portfolio | Subscribe | About Us | Contact Us    
   Home

  Financial Links on the Web
  Bloomberg.com
  CNN Money
  ING Direct
  BankRate
  Morningstar.com
  Craigslist.org
  Mortgage Calculator
  PF Podcasts
  Smart Money

Our Story: Both my wife and I are 27 years old and have gone through financial hell and back. Now we are on track to financial freedom, however we are not financial advisors or professionals, just everyday people. Share our journey from a negative networth and email us if you have questions or comments! :)



RECENT POSTS

Friday, February 03, 2006

Random Budget Thoughts

I have been away for a while because I've been listening to financial podcasts this past week. (man those are addictive!) However I am back on the soap box of life and going on about random financial topics.

If you have been reading the posts the past couple days you know that I have a goal within 5 years to have a child and leave work to be a stay at home dad. Its not like I won't be doing anything either, I would be finishing my degree. I want to be able to have enough saved for a 2-3 years. But how much is enough and should I stop paying down the motgage? I should be up on my game and saving like crazy so that's what I'm doing. Our expenses equal to about 19% of our take home.

New items: I decided to cancel blockbuster online bc it takes too long to receive my movies. I did however use that to up my netfix dvds to 5 dvds out at a time. I'm going to reduce that to 3 next month because I need to do some expense cutting. I have thought over and over about using the 'envelope method' of budgeting and have decided to give it a try for 3 months. If we like it, then we will continue to use this. And of course finally its FRIDAY, but I have to work Saturday to make that income flow~~!

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Your budgeting and savings resulted in a good month. You made the top ten in the Personal Financial Bloggers' Net Worth Index! 7.9% one month increase is great!

4:13 PM  
Blogger Amdollar said...

wow thanks! I appreciate your feedback!

12:12 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

If you have posts about debt reduction (like this one about paying down your mortgage), you can submit them to the Carnival of Debt Reduction. My blog has details. There are also other carnivals for personal finance, frugality, and investing.

Like your articles a lot. Keep up the good work!

12:54 AM  

Post a Comment

Home

www.AMDOLLAR.com is here!

Emergency Fund
40%
$25,000
2007 Roth Contributions
$8,000 Total



special thanks to ajaden webmasters