The American Dollar
OUR FAMILY. OUR MONEY. ONE PERSONAL FINANCE BLOG.
One industrious American family's focus on a financial goal of freedom. Through worldly personal finance education, here is our story.
Goals | Portfolio | Subscribe | About Us | Contact Us    
   Home

  Financial Links on the Web
  Bloomberg.com
  CNN Money
  ING Direct
  BankRate
  Morningstar.com
  Craigslist.org
  Mortgage Calculator
  PF Podcasts
  Smart Money

Our Story: Both my wife and I are 27 years old and have gone through financial hell and back. Now we are on track to financial freedom, however we are not financial advisors or professionals, just everyday people. Share our journey from a negative networth and email us if you have questions or comments! :)



RECENT POSTS

Wednesday, February 22, 2006

The Spouse and Extra Money


Open communication, at least to my knowledge, is what makes a relationship work. Communicating feelings, emotions, pretty much everything drives for a successful marriage. Im not Oprah or Dr. Phil or have any affiliation with marriage counseling, so be aware. I enjoy reading sections about how people have ruined their marriages over things like money or trust. It makes me a stronger person in my marriage because I can see these things miles away and have plenty of time to correct them. We are fairly new to the marriage game (less than a year) but we have dated for over 5 before we got married so we didnt go into this blindfolded. I have seen new things in her every day and I am so grateful to have such a wonderful partner in life.

With money its a little different, she has come around to be more proactive in managing/spending the money. I dont mind because we always have money set aside to splurge. Now with that money being set aside every month for the both of us, what does she buy? New Dooney and Burke handbag valued at $245 that she got on memorial day sale for about $80. Great deal! But I begin to question long term if this really even matters but Im going to bring it to the light anyway. Should I care about how she spends her EXTRA money? If its extra, I really shouldnt care and its not like im spending my money on $100 video games or electronics. I actually dont spend very much. So some months, I let her spend my extra money. Shes very frugal in the sense that she watches our budget so I give her that. I just dont want her to develop a habit of purchasing expensive things like purses, shoes, $100 sweaters, etc. Maybe this is just a rant on living below our means and when I see bills for clothing stores at $150 every month, I dont FEEL like im living below our means. I'm probably just over reacting and this will lead to nothing... many will probably think, yeah its extra money so she should do whatever with it... ok :)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Home

www.AMDOLLAR.com is here!

Emergency Fund
40%
$25,000
2007 Roth Contributions
$8,000 Total



special thanks to ajaden webmasters