The American Dollar
OUR FAMILY. OUR MONEY. ONE PERSONAL FINANCE BLOG.
One industrious American family's focus on a financial goal of freedom. Through worldly personal finance education, here is our story.
Goals | Portfolio | Subscribe | About Us | Contact Us    
   Home

  Financial Links on the Web
  Bloomberg.com
  CNN Money
  ING Direct
  BankRate
  Morningstar.com
  Craigslist.org
  Mortgage Calculator
  PF Podcasts
  Smart Money

Our Story: Both my wife and I are 27 years old and have gone through financial hell and back. Now we are on track to financial freedom, however we are not financial advisors or professionals, just everyday people. Share our journey from a negative networth and email us if you have questions or comments! :)



RECENT POSTS

Sunday, April 09, 2006

Ughhh.... Ebay Listings


Finished with some Ebay listings today. I find that it gets more difficult for me to find things to list on the site. A couple months ago, our family was so passionate about removing debt that we sold about $1200 worth of STUFF we didnt need. Mostly electronics and items that we kept around that we never really used. Today, I was certain to put a few more items up for auction. The dilemma that presents itself is a simple profit/cost ratio.

Heres what happens... for example, lets say I have a recent DVD that came out and I want to list it for auction on Ebay. First I do a search to see if its "worth it". I have a decision because I know I bought this DVD retail for about 19.99 + tax. On Ebay I show its going for about $9.50 + $2. Im at the point where Im willing to take the loss and just list it. In another example, lets say the same $20 DVD shows selling on Ebay for $1.99 + $2 SH... a total of $4 gross. I have a decision to make...Is it even WORTH IT at that point??? I would be doing more running around and the hassle factor, listing costs, shipping expenses will outweigh my couple bucks profit. So I dont list it and keep it. I learned to focus on the major ticket items, but again they are far and few between. The power of the internet has the individual user competing for your business. Its a great day and age for the consumer!

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Yes, certain items are "yard sale worthy" and others "eBay worthy". Everything else is "donation worthy" or "trash". I have found grouping items of small value to be better when selling on eBay. I use my paperback book selling as the example. Trying to sell one paperback will not be worth it, but grouping together 6 paperbacks into a lot and selling them maybe worth it since it is one box to address and one box to ship yet 6 six items of clutter have been cleared out of my house...

7:18 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I agree with Ms. Dough. Selling things as a 'lot' is far easier and more cost effective than splitting them up (in most cases).

I had a plumbing tool I had to buy to install a sink in my basement, and had no use for it when I was done. The tool cost me $100, and there were several already on eBay, but I threw in all the spare fittings, washers, brackets, etc, and I had no problem selling the entire shootin' match for $120. The fittings weren't worth anything to me, and I couldn't return them, but they sure made my plumbing tool look more attractive!

Good blog, keep up the good work!

-Grant
www.TheCornerOfficeBlog.com

4:51 PM  

Post a Comment

Home

www.AMDOLLAR.com is here!

Emergency Fund
40%
$25,000
2007 Roth Contributions
$8,000 Total



special thanks to ajaden webmasters