The American Dollar
OUR FAMILY. OUR MONEY. ONE PERSONAL FINANCE BLOG.
One industrious American family's focus on a financial goal of freedom. Through worldly personal finance education, here is our story.
Goals | Portfolio | Subscribe | About Us | Contact Us    
   Home

  Financial Links on the Web
  Bloomberg.com
  CNN Money
  ING Direct
  BankRate
  Morningstar.com
  Craigslist.org
  Mortgage Calculator
  PF Podcasts
  Smart Money

Our Story: Both my wife and I are 27 years old and have gone through financial hell and back. Now we are on track to financial freedom, however we are not financial advisors or professionals, just everyday people. Share our journey from a negative networth and email us if you have questions or comments! :)



RECENT POSTS

Thursday, October 05, 2006

Cutting those CORNERS~!


I love cutting corners on the budget. It makes sure that we maximize the dollars that are coming into the house. First thing I noticed is that we are paying too much for local cable. Our cable modem is NOT rented so we dont pay a rental fee, but we have the higher end high speed: upto 3MB download. We downgraded to the 768k speed which so far I havent really noticed, because all I do online is get email, read blogs, check news... so not too much high end downloading going on (songs downloaded now take about 2 minutes instead of 1... again unnoticable.) I going to try out Verizon for their DSL service which will save us another $10; I'll let you know how the trial goes.

Secondly the cable bill got me thinking that we dont really need all our 999 channels of television... my wife also agrees and points out that we hardly ever watch tv and she tapes her local channel soaps, so we are cutting it down to 100 regular cable channels for another $20 less! I will be returning our digital box and remote this weekend.

Finally one more cut this week, our netflix went sky high and I havent even noticed that we are being charged close to $40 a month for entertainment. Since the DVDs are for myself and almost never for my wife, we lowered it to the 3 DVDs at a time for $17.99 a month, saving us about $22/month. But I bit the one time bullet and bought a one year pass on ebay for $150 and just squashed the monthly rental, which saved us about $70 for the year additional.

Because I know we are probably going to spend a little bit on the baby, I'm trying to be a little prepared budget-wise. All our additional "luxuries" are currently being scrutinized and we learn to adjust to a lifestyle below our means (or at least think that way) Thats what its all about! We are also trying to get out and enjoy this great weather too.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Home

www.AMDOLLAR.com is here!

Emergency Fund
40%
$25,000
2007 Roth Contributions
$8,000 Total



special thanks to ajaden webmasters