The American Dollar
OUR FAMILY. OUR MONEY. ONE PERSONAL FINANCE BLOG.
One industrious American family's focus on a financial goal of freedom. Through worldly personal finance education, here is our story.
Goals | Portfolio | Subscribe | About Us | Contact Us    
   Home

  Financial Links on the Web
  Bloomberg.com
  CNN Money
  ING Direct
  BankRate
  Morningstar.com
  Craigslist.org
  Mortgage Calculator
  PF Podcasts
  Smart Money

Our Story: Both my wife and I are 27 years old and have gone through financial hell and back. Now we are on track to financial freedom, however we are not financial advisors or professionals, just everyday people. Share our journey from a negative networth and email us if you have questions or comments! :)



RECENT POSTS

Tuesday, January 16, 2007

Being a Stay-at-home mother/father...


I dont think I've ever mentioned this on the blog but about 2 years ago, my wife and I decided that if we were to ever have children that I would stay at home for the first couple years and then she would alternate. And in life, things change and plans change. With my recent job change and over 255% increase in salary, the tables have turned. I would now cast my vote for her being the better candidate for staying at home. Our ultimate goal was to have one of us be there, so really it didnt matter. At least once a day, maybe more, I'll crunch the numbers to make sure that we are on track, if not ahead of the track in dropping to one income. Every time the numbers work out the same. Infant childcare is expensive. We dont really trust anyone to watch the child on a long full-time basis,yet (even parents). We can afford to have one of us stay at home. We have budgeted appropriately. Ultimately my wife would like to return to work. Simple as that.

The reality for both of us is that our main "Priority One" financial goal of paying off the house in 2-3 years is now stretched to 4-5 years. Way before we started blogging or getting on the debt reduction train, I'm sure we envisioned a path much quicker and simpler. One step into "baby zone" and we have fallen back financially almost 2 years. Of course, our child is the most IMPORTANT priority now and we realize this, however again just financially, its difficult to swallow those 2 years of numbers. Hmmm maybe I should get a second job...

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I think you are about to get that second job - when the baby arrives :)

8:44 AM  
Blogger Amdollar said...

LOL thanks boston gal... that job is getting closer and closer to my future! :P

11:33 PM  

Post a Comment

Home

www.AMDOLLAR.com is here!

Emergency Fund
40%
$25,000
2007 Roth Contributions
$8,000 Total



special thanks to ajaden webmasters